Friday, March 31, 2006

curiously uplifted....

I'm grossly cheerful, even though its like 8 o' clock in the morning and I am already in the office. I was listening to two ghazals this morning... many would find them depressing, i found them curiously uplifting...

"Ulfat ki naee manzil ko chala...
Yun baahen daale baahon me...
Dil tornaywaley dekh ke chal,
Hum bhi to paraye hain raahon me..."

Another verse in the same ghazal:

"Hum bhi hai wohi,
tum bhi ho wohi,
ye apni apni quismat hai...
Tum khel rahe ho Khushion se,
hum Doob gae hain aahon me..."

This one was written by Qateel Shifai, according to a freind.

The other was another ghazal/nazam - i dont know the difference... sung by both Nayyara Noor and Shehnaz Begum-

"Gham e duniya se ghab ra kar,
tum he dil ne pukara hai
kahan ho tum?
Chaley ao,
mohobat ka taqaza hai-

Na hai faryaad hoto' par
na ankho mai koi ansoo
zamaney se mila jo gham-
zamaney se mila jo gham-
usse geeto ne gaya hai-

i have no idea who the brilliant writer is- anyone?

BTW- J/J/D - sorry guys, you'll have to wait for the translation. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why are all the lyrics etc that you quote such a prominent part of my childhood?